Frequently asked questions

Why should I use a managing agent?

Using a managing agent creates an independent business relationship between you and your tenant. Should a problem occur a managing agent can ensure all issues are dealt with in accordance to the latest legislation. As a reputable managing agent we are members of Property Ombudsman Scheme which provide guidance on current legislation.

What is the tenancy deposit scheme?

It is a legal requirement to register the tenant’s security deposit in an approved scheme.

Why should I have an inventory?

An inventory is a detailed list of the contents and condition of your property. This document is used when the tenancy leaves the property as it allows us to ensure the property is returned to you in the same condition it was handed over in. We also use the document to manage our mid-term inspections to ensure the tenant is maintaining the property in line with our expectations.

Why do I need an Energy Performance Certificate?

An Energy Performance Certificate or EPC is made available for any prospective tenant prior to viewing a property. It advises the prospective tenant how energy efficient the property is. The EPC graph is usually listed on the property details. Having an EPC is a legal requirement and failure to comply can result in the landlord receiving a fine.

What are the landlord’s obligations surrounding Gas?

Any property which has gas appliances or gas supplied to the property must have a Landlord’s Gas Safety check carried out every 12 month by a properly qualified engineer. Further information can be found on

Why can’t the landlord go into their property during the tenancy?

You are able to access the property but you need to provide sufficient notice to the tenant.

What is a Mid Term Inspection?

As part of our fully managed letting service we carry out a routine visit half way through the tenancy agreement. This visit is to check your property is being looked after in the manner we expect, a copy of the inspection report is generated and sent to you for your records.

What happens if my tenant doesn’t pay their rent?

We work very hard to monitor this situation on a monthly basis with our tenants and develop a swift resolution to any rent arrears. If no solution can be found then we can help with the legal proceedings required to achieve a resolution

We do always recommend you take out an insurance policy to protect you against this happening. We offer an excellent insurance product which is a bespoke policy which insures you up to 6 months of lost rent and £15,000 of legal costs amongst other features for a small monthly premium.

What happens if the tenant damages my property?

With every tenant we take a tenancy deposit and register this in a government backed registration scheme. When the tenant leaves the property we cross check the property against the original inventory which was created on entrance to the property. On exiting the property the tenant has to return the property back to us in the same condition it was in when they entered it. If there is any remedial work required this has to be put right at the tenants cost, which are usually funded from the tenancy deposit.

How can I get my tenant out?

To remove a tenant from a property normally involves some form of legal action, which will incur legal costs. We offer an insurance policy to protect our landlords against this.

Will my money be safe?

Yes, we are active members of ARLA and as part of the code of conduct, your money will be protected through the Protection Bonding Scheme.

What is TPO?

The Property Ombudsman; an independent body to which Landlords can refer any complaint should the agent fail to address it to their satisfaction.

Do I need to get my electrical appliances tested?

Yes, it is a legal requirement that any electrical appliance be safe to use. Our standard practice for electrical appliances is to recommend each appliance is PAT tested (Portable Appliance Testing).

How do I check my furniture is compliant?

We normally recommend not to let a property with furniture already in it. However, should you wish to do this then the furniture is governed by legislation particularly all domestic upholstered furniture and furnishings. The furniture must display standard safety and warning labels in a prominent position. Our staff will be able to advise you on the best way to manage this legislation.
Does a landlord need to pay tax?

It does depend on your own personal tax situation, but in most cases Landlords could be liable to pay tax on their rental income whether UK based or overseas. Please either refer to your own accountant or visit the Inland Revenue’s website

Will my money be safe?

Yes, we are active members of ARLA and as part of the code of conduct, your money will be protected through the Protection Bonding Scheme.

Rest assured our local knowledgeable staff can help you every step of the way to help you rent your property. For more information on how we can help, call one of our local property experts on 02476 314601.
IE8 Alert! Cookie Alert!

To get the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a modern web browser. More info